Monday, April 16, 2007

Interview with Beth Thorne

Hello, everyone! I'm posting my interview with Beth from our most recent meeting. Beth, I hope I accurately transcribed your responses - feel free to correct if need be.

1. What is your current creative venture?
Independent designer of furniture, fixtures, and products focused on high end luxury products.

2. What got you started in your current business?
When I was in graduate school for architecture, I started doing furniture design. I liked the smaller scale of furniture. It was less technical and more of a pure expression.

3. What kinds of things inspire you and/or spark your creativity?
Beautiful objects, mid-century glass bud vases, people (clients), audience interaction with design, organic forms.

4. What is the most challenging aspect of your design business?
Two things - one is having a client that has a particular agenda that ends up diluting the design, and two is spending so much time on marketing.

5. What is the most rewarding aspect?
The creative process - that exact moment when it just flows.

6. What's the best piece of advice you have received/heard/read or would give to someone starting out?
My dad said, "It's not what you know, it's who you know."
You don't have a business if you don't have happy customers.
Underpromise & overdeliver

7. Do you have a mentor or a person (living or dead) who inspires you or your business?
Rose Tarlow (furniture/interior designer and antique dealer)
Barbara Barry (interior/product designer)

8. Who are some of your favorite designers, artists or other creatives?
Carlo Mollino (furniture designer)

9. Describe what success means to you.
A lifestyle that allows me the freedom to travel: I see a stone farmhouse somewhere in the south of France or in Italy, with a large vegetable garden. There are children and animals running around and I'm wearing a cotton dress and an apron.

10. What are your favorite places to shop for good design/gift/fashion in Los Angeles?
Thrift and antique stores.

Favorite color: Goldenrod

Favorite food: Indian

Birthday: 08/04

Preference cat/dog: Dog
Prefernce beach/desert: Beach
Preference sweet/savory: Savory

No comments: